Archive for July 2011
To make design, layout and entire structure of a web page, HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language) is widely used. There are different web-editing programs which make it easy for you to design HTML web page. If you are unaware of how to do this then follow the steps given below:
- You will require having Adobe Dreamweaver software to make an HTML web page. If you already have this, it is well and good. Now open Adobe Dreamweaver and go to Create New section on “Welcome” screen. After this, select HTML. Also see that Design tab is chosen on upper left corner.
- Next step is entering text for your web page. After you have written the text, select entire text and go to Properties which you see at base of computer screen. Here you will go to arrange your text. Select Dreamweaver’s default formatting under Format drop down menu. If you want to move text on page, you can use Text Indent and Text Outdent.
- Do you want to insert some special properties to your page? For this, go to Insert panel which is there on upper right corner. If you wish to insert a link to another site or web page, select text and click Hyperlink in Insert panel.
- Similarly if you want to add an image to your web page, place the cursor to where you want to add picture. Again go to Insert panel and click on Image. After locating the image, click Choose. On the pop-up window, click OK in order to verify that relative path is used for picture file.
- Now go to File and select Save. Save this web page on your PC. Now go back to File and click Preview in Browser. After clicking your preferred browser, you will be able to see how your HTML page looks like.
Designing an HTML web page is not a big deal if proper way and tips are followed. The steps mentioned above are really useful and you can try designing your HTML web page using this method.
Having a website is quite common these days. Almost every one of us has either personal or business website. Designing a good website requires hard work and creativity and so does the homepage for website. It rather needs more efforts and time to make a good and effective homepage. Today we will discuss all about making a website homepage. Here are some necessary tips:
- To design a website homepage, you will first need to learn the basis of HTML. Understanding HTML is quite essential even if you use any software to make website homepage because you may have to tackle problems arising during this process.
- Ask yourself about the main purpose of homepage. It is very important to have a clear point of view about a homepage for your site. Creating a homepage is not technically difficult. Difficulty arises when you don’t have a clear focus about the design of that homepage. When you will have a definite and clear objective of making a homepage in your mind, this will become much easier to make it.
- Web pages only work on basis of tags because they describe how special facets of page seem to be. You will require creating an open and closing HTML tags. Inside these tags, you will require opening and closing body tags. You will not require creating these tags if you use software to make a homepage.
- Now move towards the most important aspects. Colors, images and whole design of homepage! Firstly select colors and designs and then go for relevant images. All three of these aspects are important to be considered as they are the factors which will draw visitors’ attention.
- Make a place for links. Why is it necessary? Actually web visitors wish to navigate to other parts of your site also or they may try to find related information on other sites as well. Pick a suitable place for links that is visible and easy to use.
- After making homepage, save it and then upload it. To mark it as a homepage for your site, save it either as index.htm or index.html.
These were some necessary tips which you need to keep in your mind while making a homepage for your website. Hopefully you will like these and follow these as well.
The work of graphic designers is vast and full of variety because they have to design everything ranging from business cards to logos, wedding invitations and brochures. Graphic designers work in two ways. They either work in collaboration with some company or offer freelance services to individuals and families as well. Graphic designers who work with companies don’t have to bother about marketing their work but individual designers have to market their creations in order to make people aware of their creative work and layouts. Marketing graphic designs is necessary for freelance designers to attract new clients. For such graphic designers, I am going to give some tips to market their graphic designs in better way to promote their creations.
Know Your Target Market
First rule of marketing a product or service is to identify your target market so that you can devise your efforts in right direction. If you are wedding card designer, your target audience will be families. But if you are designing brochures, flyers and business cards, then your target market will be small businesses. So give a right direction to your marketing efforts to attain best possible results.
Create Professional Portfolio
Generate a proficient portfolio by including your superlative designs in it. Show this portfolio to your clients during meetings. If you don’t have any previous designs to show, make model designs keeping in mind your target market. Create sample designs for wedding cards, business cards, logos, brochures and flyers depending on the nature of your work and target clients. You can also create an online portfolio or website to promote your business outside your local area.
Logo and Business Card
You are also suggested to design a logo as an identification of your graphic design business. To promote your services further, create well-designed business cards including a brief introduction to your services, contact information along with the web address of your online portfolio.
Partnership with Local Businesses
Joining local business associations is also a good way to introduce your creations to your community. Try to build a partnership with those local businesses that cannot compete with your brand. Choose those businesses whose clients are included in your target market.
Donate Your Designs
You can also donate your graphic designs for community events for which you can design brochures, pamphlets and logos. For example, if your church is organizing a charity, you can help getting donations by creating attractive brochures and pamphlets.
Direct Mail Campaign
You can create a direct-mail campaign by using postcards created by yourself. Distribute these postcards to introduce your services advising recipients to contact you. Also send these cards to local business community.
These tips are really very great and helpful in marketing your graphic designs. Follow these and start your career as a successful graphic designer.
Business card designing is a great art and needs skills and extra creativity. Most of designers keep a business card simple and plain to give it a professional look. But a plain card is not as attractive as it expects to be as well as it shows that you lack creativity. Design a card which looks creative and artistic yet simple and professional. Doing this is difficult but it is the real challenge for you. To make this challenge easier for you, I have some tips and ideas for designing attractive business cards.
Choosing Unique Material: Firstly, it comes to choosing material that you will use to design business card. Cardstock is used by everyone, so use a different kind of material. The best idea is to use a clear plastic material and have your words and graphics embossed on it. Although plastic material looks simple but shows your creativity. Instead of plastic, you can also use flexible and thin wood. Yes it sounds strange but makes your business card look unique and matchless. On the wooden cards, you can carve your information to make it even more appealing.
Shape of Business Card: Shape of business card can also be made different. Commonly used shape for business cards is a rectangular shape but as you are going to be creative, you will have to think of something different. For example, you can give it a distinct look by making perforated edges just like tickets. You can also increase its length making it a thin rectangle. Another interesting shape which really looks unusual is square shape. You would have never come across a square shaped business card so be a trendsetter and bring diversity in business card designs.
Increased Size: You can make your business card a mini-portfolio by increasing its size so that you may get more space to add pictures and designs. Pictures and designs will elaborate your business in a better way making your card an effective tool to make people known about your business.
Design it Like a Poster: Your business card does the same work as a movie or music poster does. So just like a movie poster, you can add a large image, related to your products and services, surrounded by information about your business. You can also put a graphic on front side of card giving all detailed information on back side. A graphic will give a clear picture about your business and this card design idea will also show how creatively you have used space to provide both visual description and information.
These four ideas are really unique and attractive enough to design a business card which will not only be distinguished but will also work for you.
Your website should look professional whether you are designing it for personal use or business use. Different skilled designers and professionals are hired for this purpose but people having financial problems can’t hire expensive professionals so they may want to create website layout for themselves. For this purpose, you will require programs like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro which is also pricey but an alternate to these programs is GIMP. Today we will discuss creating websites layout with GIMP:
- Before taking a start, sketch your ideas about making a website on paper. Use different colored markers to highlight different ideas. Also decide what you wish to include on web page. These items may be photos, graphics, text and clip arts. Also draw what you want your banner to look like as well as decide where navigation buttons should be located. After deciding all about these, load some graphics and relevant pictures and save them.
- Open GIMP and from the menu, select File and then New. Make a size of document in new document dialog. The most common size for web pages is 1024 x 768. Now click OK.
- Now from the toolbar, select Paint Bucket tool to fill the background layer with the color you want to see in your web page. If you like white backgrounds, there is no need to perform this step.
- In Layers panel, click New Layer. After this, select Rectangular selection tool. Select an area where you want to place banner and click that area. Again use Paint Bucket tool to fill color in banner. To give it a different and attractive look, you can apply gradient by using Gradient tool.
- To create all other features of your web page, repeat above given step. Click File and then click Open as Layers. You will do this to browse images which you loaded. So in the dialog, browse those images and open them. Those pictures will be shown in their own layers.
- You will definitely not use all images in their original size so resize them and position them in each layer to where you want to place them in web page.
- Now it comes to adding text. For this, select Text tool and type text which you want to add.
- For saving your layout, click File and Save. After giving a name to your file, save it as high resolution JPEG. Take this image into web page editor as background. Now your page is ready to be published.
This was an easy method to create website layouts with GIMP. I hope you will also find it easier and helpful.