Designing Website Backgrounds: Tips and Tricks
Posted August 18, 2012on:
Websites backgrounds are somewhat essential components of a website as they enhance overall look of a website. At the same time, these backgrounds make a website more appealing and attractive for viewers. If you will not set a background image or color for your website, your web page will show a white background by default. But professionals suggest that website must have a background image because backgrounds beautifully complement logos and other images if they are used properly. Here I am going to give you some tips on designing website backgrounds:
- It is always good to choose a solid background color behind an image. If you will choose a background color, this color will be loaded in default instead of white color. Following this tip especially meets the needs of those visitors who have a slow internet connection or who have turned off image features of their computer for fast loading. Select that color for background that goes well with background image or at least suits well with your site’s colors.
- Remember that background images are always separate from design of your site but still they are required to be blend properly with web page’s main characteristics. While selecting a background image, make sure that it does not affect the readability of text. Neither should it make the web page look too busy with objects. Background images are not meant for distracting viewers’ attention but they should be able to promote your site in a better way.
- Repeating patterns are often used to design background as their purpose is to cover a specific length of page. If your page is long enough and viewers have to scroll down the page, make sure you are using seamless background image. If you will not use a seamless image, your page will display an ugly horizontal seam every time your image will be repeated on page. Another trick to avoid this problem is to fix the image in place. By doing this, your background image will remain stationary while text and other images will move.
- Ensure that background areas where text is to be placed has a solid color or at least there are patterns in light colors. Colors may also be dark but all you need to care about is that text can be read easily. Don’t try to use unconventional colors and rather stick to black and white backgrounds. Set aside blue, red and green color for headings and text links.
- If you are just adding a background color to your website, you will just need entering a color code in HTML code of your web page. But in case of a background image, you will require creating an image by using a graphics program. This image will be loaded to server via FTP. After that, you will need inserting a link to image within background figure code. This code will tell your server that image will only be used as a background image.
To give a proficient look to your website, the best thing you can do is to create a background image. If you have basic knowledge of HTML and CSS web design, you can create a background for web page. For further help, you can also consult other internet sites for impressive background pictures.