Basic Principles of Graphic Designing
Posted September 9, 2012on:
Today I will discuss some basic principles of graphic designing which are needed to be understood by every graphic designer. Understanding these principles will help one to become a good graphic designer:
- A balanced layout is the most important principle of graphic designing because our eyes and minds feel more comfortable when they see a balanced design. A balanced layout is that where graphics do not dominate text and page does not look to be twisted to one side.
- Next principle is to learn how to arrange different elements on the page. You can learn this through proximity. Proximity means to keep identical items together and creating unity. Let’s understand it with a simple example. If you observe a group of people in a room, you will be able to understand which strangers are and which people are close to each other and how close they are sitting. Similarly, in a graphic design, proximity or immediacy creates a bond between different elements on a page. The distance between different elements helps understanding their relationship.
- How can we forget alignment? A graphic designer also needs to learn the principle of alignment in graphic designing. To create attractive and interesting layouts, one needs to learn how to align text or graphics. Absence of alignment shows chaos and disorganization while mixing too many types of alignments also creates the same effect.
- Another principle of graphic designing is consistency. A graphic designer needs to understand importance of consistency to give a page a consistent and balanced look so that reader may get engaged.
- For visual interest, contrasts can also be created in a graphic design. Being a graphic designer, you need to learn how to use different contrasts like black and white and big and small. Contrast is actually used when two elements differ and contrast can be created using differences in four elements like color, size, type and value. Contrast is necessary to increase a reader’s interest as well as it creates emphasis on an important element. If contrast does not exist on a page, reader cannot find which item is important and where to look first. Contrast also increases readability.
- White space is also an important principle which can not be overlooked. White space is actually nothing and it shows absence of text and images. By breaking up text and images, it provides a visual rest to reader’s eye. So to make a page less confusing, white space is used.
These were six basic elements of graphic design which should not be ignored while creating a layout. Following these principles is beneficial to create effective layouts.