Mistakes to Avoid in Brochure Design
Posted November 27, 2012on:
When used properly, brochures are proved to be most powerful marketing tool. Brochures can make potential customers aware of your offerings and encourage them to take an action. Your brochure should be well designed and in a proper format so that you can take its benefit. Here I am going to describe some mistakes which you should avoid to make a brochure effective and attractive:
- Sometimes designers make black and white brochures in order to decrease cost of making a brochure. Black and white brochures are neither professional nor attractive. Color is necessary to make a brochure vibrant and appealing as colors bring life to your brochure and attract attention of readers as well.
- Using colors does not mean at all that you start using irritating colors. Bold and lively colors are fine but if they do not match or do not make a good contrast, they will kill entire design of your brochure.
- Brochures are mostly small and do not have room for many designs and images. Do not overboard your brochure with too much images. Use only relevant and less images and leave some white space. A single large image is much better than too many smaller ones as too many images distract reader’s attention. Make an effective and wise use of words and designs.
- Again to make a brochure cost effective, many of you use cheap and flimsy paper which can bring disastrous results. Always use thicker paper as it gives a professional touch to brochure and leaves good impression on reader’s mind.
- A brochure which does not have a call to action is of no worth. It is a big mistake made by designers. Actual purpose of a brochure is to attract attention and interest of people towards business’s products and services so that they can turn into a paying customer. So having a call-to-action element is very important for a good brochure.
- Another mistake made while designing a brochure is to neglect proof reading the content. If your brochure will be full of illogical sentences, typos and other errors, it will create a bad first impression on reader. It will drive people away from you instead of attracting them.
- There should never be a hidden message in a brochure. The message which you want to communicate should be clear and obvious. Readers will not spend much time to read your brochure if it will have vague messages.
- Amateur designers make a mistake to type words too close to the edges of paper. It mars the readability and at the same time it puts your content in danger of being cut off while printer trims the paper.
- Don’t use long paragraphs while writing contents of brochure. Use bullets to increase the readability .To make brochure even more attractive and interesting, use charts to explain your ideas.
That was a list of some mistakes commonly made by brochure designers. These mistakes can spoil effectiveness of your brochure so avoid making these.